Saturday, March 29, 2008

Eggplant Cabbage curry

Sometimes when I open my fridge, I see some vegetables that are not good enough to make one dish so I had to mix and match some veggies and try out various combinations to make something edible. Today was one of the days when I opened my fridge and saw a small piece of cabbage begging to be used up and so I had pair it up with some eggplants and edamame soy beans and the resulting curry was really delicious. You could use green peas instead of edamame beans, but lately I have been using edamame beans a lot because of their rich protein content and I like that they are firm compared to peas which become very soft when cooked. But you can try either one of them as long as you put enough masalas.

Ingredients:
Eggplant - 5 washed, cut into slices and soaked in salt water to retain the color
Cabbage - 1 cup chopped finely
Edamame soy beans - 1/2 cup
Red chilli powder - 2 tsp(or according to taste, remember I eat spicy)
Dhaniya powder - 1 tsp
Jeerapowder - 1/2 tsp
Saunf powder - 1/2 tsp(optional, I like the slight taste of it in the curry)
Fresh/frozen coconut - 1 tbsp
Chana dal - 2 tsp
Lemon juice - 1 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Jeera seeds - 1 tsp
Hing - a pinch
turmeric - a pinch
oil - 2 tsp
salt - to taste



Method:
Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, jeera, chana dal, let the chana dal become light golden, add hing, turmeric powder, eggplant pieces and fry for sometime till the eggplant gets soft. Now add cabbage and edamame beans, mix well and let it cook for about 2 minutes. When the cabbage gets a little soft, add salt, chilli powder, dhaniya powder, jeera powder, saunf powder, lemon juice, coconut and mix well. Let it cook on low flame for about a minute and then just enjoy the vegetable with chapathi or puri.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Rita,
This looks really good. I am going to try this next time. :)

How do you like my blog?