Thursday, March 20, 2008

Cauliflower-Aloo Masala

Hello everybody!
I always try to find recipes with a little bit of gravy, since my little one loves chapathis, I need to find something to go with it, and a gravy vegetable helps so I can skip making the dal that day. Anyway recently I found this recipe on one of the sites I was visiting, I did a little bit of modification to suit my palate, and trust me it came out so gud, my hubby wondered if i got it from any restaurant(though we don't have any indian restaurants where we live). And the best thing is my little one just lopped up all the vegetables and the gravy. So here we go.

Ingredients:
Vegetables -
Cauliflower - 1 small or 1/2 medium, trimmed, washed and florets cut
Potato - 1 medium, washed and cut into bite-size cubes(I leave the skin on the potato)
Carrot - 1 medium, washed, peeled and cut into bite-size cubes
Onion - 1 sliced lengh-wise
Tomatoes - 4 chopped
Peas - 1/4 cup(or any other beans soaked and cooked)
Salt - to taste
Oil- 1 tbsp
Whipping Cream - 1/4 cup

For the masala:
Coconut powder(dry or fresh) - 4 tbsp
Poppy seeds - 1 tbsp
Cinnamon - 2"
Cloves - 4
Ginger - 1"
Garlic - 2 cloves
Cilantro - few sprigs
Red Chilli powder - 1 tsp(or to taste)
Turmeric - 1/2 tsp
Salt - 1/2 tsp

Method:
Take all the above masala ingredients in a blender and make a smooth paste, adding little water as needed.
Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large wide pot. When hot add mustard seeds and cumin seeds, add onion and fry till goldern, then add tomatoes and cook for a min. Now add potatoes and carrot and cover and cook till potatoes are just soft, now add cauliflower and peas, cook for a min and add the masala paste, salt and half a cup of water. Cover and simmer for 5 min, when the curry is boiling add cream and stir well and turn off the heat. Garnish with cilantro and enjoy!

2 comments:

$weety$mile said...

Wow..Yummy yummy ...will help me a lot..also plz post breakfast section tooo like dosa,, vada etc etc

Ritha Kulkarni said...

thx sweetysmile, will definitely add the breakfast section soon.

How do you like my blog?